Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Moving on


I will admit immediately that leaving Prague was the mistake of a lifetime. My last night there I found a bar that was showing the Seahawks game, and as it turned out the owner was an American from Chicago, and before I knew it I was sitting with him and his friends enjoying all the beer I wanted, for free (seeing as the Bears won, so I took the loss quite well!). A guy about my age from Finnland tried to pull the same stunt, so he sat down and started talking with us. His first words to us all were, "Are you American?". Yes. And without skipping a beat he launched into a drunken tirade, "I hate Americans. They are so awful. They are all like George Bush. So arrogant. I mean, my hatred for Americans runs almost as deeply as my hatred for the Jews." Before this last comment we were a bit stunned (why was he in this bar if he hated Americans?), but after the comment about Jews we just lost it, and threw his ass out of the bar. The next morning I took a train to Vienna, which is where I am now, and where I can not wait to leave. Granted it is a beautiful city filled with numerous sights and its cultural history is unrivaled, but it is crowded, expensive, and a bit too posh for my liking. And the food is terrible.....

I have also found myself a bit anxious to move on and suddenly have all this time on my hands before I need to be in Greece, so after Budapest (my next stop) the following destination is up in the air, although its probable that it will be Croatia and eventually the walled city of Dubrovnik.

No comments: